I use a consultant who is a pretty good guy. He works inexpensively, and I try and give him good projects. And, he also manages my entire server. So, I try to give him enough business that it is worth his while. BUT, he isn’t perfect.
- He “released” my SSL certificate and told me it worked. Well, it didn’t! And, after more patience than I would have liked, it now works.
- When one thing works, another doesn’t. These aren’t big things, but they do seem to keep me wondering how much testing he does before releasing. But, did I mention he was inexpensive and that my time is “cheap”?
- IT guys are often not the best communicators. He does okay, but he doesn’t always think, “What would my customer think if I don’t respond to him in 3 days?”
- He is a shared resource. I am probably his biggest customer, but I am not the only one, so I either need to find a new less busy guy who will probably cost more OR I need to adjust my expectations.
- A couple of times I have been sold a module for my shopping cart that will do “everything” I need. But, when it is installed, we find out that a couple things that were supposed to be in this release just “didn’t” make it. So, I get the newest and greatest, but my consultant was just overselling what was oversold to him.
Well, if he is imperfect, why keep him?
- He is honest.
- When I get him on MY tasks, he is pretty good.
- When he quotes a price, he sticks to it even if he missed something when he was scoping it.
- He knows my shopping cart inside and out. He can tweak it, write modules, and fix other peoples broken modules.
- And, he doesn’t think I am to big of a nag when something is broken….
Good Luck finding the consultant to help grow your business!!